When is the next trip?
- The 2019 Project Mexico trip will run from March 23 –31
- These dates coincide with both the Calgary Public School’s and Catholic school spring breaks
How much does the trip Cost
- We are looking at a trip cost of $2200.00 if the registration is received by Dec 9th (early registration)
- For registrations received between Dec 10 – Jan 16th, the price will increase to $2500.00
- A $300 non-refundable deposit is required with the application.
- There are 2 other checkpoints at which additional money is required.
- We suggest that team members bring down around $250 US for spending and meals while we are in the US
Who can go?
- This trip is open to anyone who is in grade 9 or older. We encourage both teens and adults to participate in this life-changing project.
- We have availability for 42 participants
Do I need to attend Friends Church to go on this trip?
- You do not need to attend Friends Church to be a part of our team. You do have to have a desire to make a positive impact in the lives of others.
Where do you go?
- Tijuana Mexico is where we go to build. We have been working in the community of Maclovio Rojas for the part number of years.
Where do you stay?
- While in Mexico we stay at the Amor base camp, located on the outskirts of Tijuana.
- While in California we stay at the Embassy Suites in Irvine.
Is it safe?
- We have been taking teams on this trip for the past 15 years and at no point have I ever felt unsafe.
- There have been different concerns raised in the media over the years and in those seasons we rely heavily on Amor (the organization we work with) and their discretion. We are very cautious and take the recommended steps to ensure a safe and profoundly impacting trip.
- Amor safety procedures
What do I need to bring?
- We will include a detailed packing list but the simple version is work clothes, passport, and a great attitude.
Do I need a passport?
- All participants do require a passport to travel with the team.
Do minors require any special documentation?
- All minors require a notarized letter. This is a document signed by the parents and a lawyer giving them permission to travel with the group.
How do I register?
- You can register by simply clicking on the following link. There is also a link included in the application so you can make your initial (non-refundable) trip deposit if $300
- Registration Link
Are there fundraising opportunities?
- There are a number of different opportunities to raise funds for this trip. Each year is slightly different but some of the fundraising tools we have used in the past have included
- WestJet Raffle
- Online Auction
- Bottle Drive
- Donations (all donations qualify for a tax receipt, including donations that you make to your own trip)
What organization do you partner with?
- We work with an organization call Amor Ministries in San Diego, CA
Who decides who receives a home?
- Amor partners with a council of pastors in Mexico who help assess the need of the submitted applications.
- The family submitting a request for a home must own a piece of land and the shelter on the land cannot be equal to or better than what we will be building.
- Teams building in the communities have a flyer that is available for anyone who comes around and asks about how they might get a house.
- Info Meeting – Oct 14th, 11:45 am in the Library at Friends Church
- We hold 3 team meetings prior to the trip as well as one team debrief after the trip.
- Meeting Dates: Jan 11, Feb 7, March 3, Mar 19th
This document is a work in progress. If you have questions that you would like us to answer, please let us know and we will add them to the list. Send your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org